NIAR Technical Writer Student Assistant
This position requires access to EAR or ITAR controlled technologies. Applicants are required to be eligible for employment under U.S. export control laws and must meet the requirement of being a “U.S. Citizen”. Information will need to be collected in this regard, but will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. export control laws. The University does not discriminate in its hiring practices and shall ensure compliance with all federal and state laws in the collection and reviews of such information collected.
• Author clear and concise instructional documents tailored to the target audience.
• Translate technical concepts into user-friendly language.
• Take comprehensive notes during meetings, discussions, or sessions to aid in the creation of new documentation.
• Write, scope, design, and organize documentation sets for both internal and external users, including How-To guides, support documentation, and admin guides.
• Partner & collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure cohesive messaging, accurate information for efficient document migration and structures in the new document management system.
• Review and edit existing documentation for clarity, accuracy, and consistency.
• Audit current content to pinpoint areas for enhancement.
• Ensure that documents adhere to established formatting guidelines, presenting them in a consistent and professional manner.
• Develop and assist in creating templates, guidelines, and best practices for future documentation.
• Provide training and support on the new document management system and updated documentation processes.
• Use authoring tools such as Google and Microsoft Office to craft content, specifications, datasheets, reports, drawing notes, and other documentation types.
• Coach non-writers on ways to elevate their writing abilities and manage intricate documentation projects.
The ideal candidate should have an eye for detail, strong organizational skills, and the ability to simplify complex technical concepts for a broader audience. Collaboration and cross-functional engagement are crucial for this role, ensuring that all documentation is accurate, consistent, and user-friendly.