NIAR Design Engineer Intern
Design Engineer will develop, plan, organize and conduct complex design assignments on various projects related to composites and metals. Candidate will operate in one or more functional disciplines within engineering.
This position requires access to EAR or ITAR controlled technologies. Applicants are required to be eligible for employment under U.S. export control laws and must meet the requirement of being a “U.S. Citizen”. Information will need to be collected in this regard but will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. export control laws. The University does not discriminate in its hiring practices and shall ensure compliance with all federal and state laws in the collection and reviews of such information collected.
- Perform duties in support of new product and sustaining designs
- Coordinate with other Engineering and technical groups to develop, implement, monitor, and status assignments
- Responsible for completing development, design, testing and certification assignments for new design or modifications. Develop creative, scientific alternatives during course of job assignments to reach desired outcome
- Initiate designs or incorporate design improvements utilizing CATIA V5 and V6 software with an emphasis on modeling and drafting
- 3D model development in support of detail, assembly and installation layouts
- Peer drawing checking and the release of engineering documents, as well as day-to-day collaboration to resolve design conflicts and interferences.
- Consult and coordinate with other engineering and manufacturing personnel to coordinate design function and resolve technical problems. Consult with supplier to discuss and remedy issues in a more timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain contact with Product Support Engineering and production departments to resolve engineering problems impeding production and to assist in the incorporation of new design concepts and changes.
- Professional and diplomatic demeanor
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Time management skills to support multiple concurrent projects
- Understanding of 2D & 3D design concepts
- Working knowledge of generic CAD design tool processes
- Ability to read and produce 2D drawings using standard industry practices
- Proficient in use of standard Microsoft Office programs
- Experience in CATIA V5, 3Dexperience is preferred