NIAR Electrical/Controls Engineering Intern
Are you an ambitious and driven individual with a passion for robotics and industrial control systems? Are you eager to gain hands-on experience in a dynamic and collaborative environment? Look no further - NIAR is seeking an enthusiastic intern to join our Robotics and Automation Lab team. Immerse yourself in the world of automation, from design and programming to construction and troubleshooting, and contribute to cutting-edge projects that shape the future of engineering.
This position requires access to EAR or ITAR controlled technologies. Applicants are required to be eligible for employment under U.S. export control laws and must meet the requirement of being a “U.S. Citizen”. Information will need to be collected in this regard, but will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. export control laws. The University does not discriminate in its hiring practices and shall ensure compliance with all federal and state laws in the collection and reviews of such information collected.
About Us: At Automation Research Center (ARC) of NIAR, we are at the forefront of innovation in robotics and industrial automation. Our internship program provides a unique opportunity for students to work alongside experienced engineers, learn from industry experts, and develop skills that will pave the way for a successful career.
Position Overview: As an Electrical/Controls Engineering Intern, you will be an integral part of our Robotics and Automation Lab. Your responsibilities will encompass a wide range of tasks, from programming robotic systems to designing and testing control systems for industrial automation. This hands-on role will allow you to apply classroom knowledge to real-world projects, setting the stage for a rewarding future in engineering.
· Collaborate with our team of engineers to design, develop and test control systems for industrial automation and robotics applications.
· Troubleshoot and diagnose issues with robotic and industrial control systems.
· Conduct research on new control technologies and provide recommendations for integration.
· Assist in the selection of components and equipment to meet system requirements.
· Assist with the fabrication and installation of electrical panels and wiring for control systems and perform wiring and soldering tasks as needed.
· Follow safety procedures and ensure compliance with industry standards.
· Perform electrical circuit design, analysis, and troubleshooting.
· Conduct testing and verification of control system functionality.
· Create technical documentation (e.g. schematics, diagrams, manuals, etc.) to support system design, installation, and maintenance.
· Write and debug PLC programs using industry-standard software (e.g. Allen Bradley, Siemens, etc.).
· Set up networking between discrete devices in an industrial system.
· Program robotic systems such as ABB, MIR, Universal Robots, and others in conjunction with industrial systems.
· Pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering.
· Solid understanding of electrical circuits and control systems.
· Experience in soldering and hands-on hardware tasks.
· Proficiency in programming languages such as C#.
· Familiarity with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs), e.g., Allen Bradley.
· Knowledge of CAD software, such as AutoCAD Electrical, for electrical design.
· Exceptional problem-solving abilities and meticulous attention to detail.
· Strong analytical skills, enabling critical thinking and evaluation of alternative solutions.
· Physical Requirements: This role encompasses both office and lab environments, involving a range of physical activities from desk work to hands-on installations using tools and equipment.
This is a paid internship position that offers a unique opportunity to gain practical experience in the exciting fields of robotics and industrial controls systems engineering. If you are a self-starter who is eager to learn and contribute to a team, we encourage you to apply.