NIAR Composites Layup and Research Technician
The Composites Lab at Wichita State University is looking for a student assistant who can read and follow instructions in a precise manner to perform panel layup; design, program and perform ply cutting operations using an automated ply cutting machine; and understand the details needed to load, operate and maintain an autoclave/oven. Students in this position will be expected to work a 20 hours a week during the semester and 30+ hours during school breaks. This position will be located on Wichita State University's main campus.
This position requires access to EAR or ITAR controlled technologies. Applicants are required to be eligible for employment under U.S. export control laws and must meet the requirement of being a ”U.S. Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. 120.15. “U.S. Person” includes U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee and those given asylum in the United States, and temporary residents granted amnesty OR eligible to obtain U.S. government authorization for this position by the time of hire. Information will need to be collected in this regard, but will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. export control laws. The University does not discriminate in its hiring practices and shall ensure compliance with all federal and state laws in the collection and reviews of such information collected.
- Design and cut tape, woven material using ply cutting machine.
- Assist in preparation of molds.
- Perform precise hand layup while following instructions.
- Vacuum bagging, curing and processing in and out of autoclave application.
- Verify and maintain quality.
- De-mold cured laminates without damaging them.
- Maintain records as required.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Operation of some basic shop hand tools.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Lift large tools and pre-preg in and out of the freezer. (75lbmax)
- Experience using MS Office suite.
- Critical thinking and problem solving.
- Able to work as part of a team to ensure meeting quality standards.
- High standards for following instructions, work quality and productivity.
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined, organized, and driven individual.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Interested in learning about aerospace materials and processes.